Friday, July 15, 2011

Day 6 - Things are not what they seem...

As I spend time with the teacher from India, Nagin Sanghavi, I am renewing my excitement and passion for studying all of life!  At age 93, he is currently sitting at my dining room table writing an article that will be published in India.  He writes a weekly column.

He studies Sanskrit and translates it.  He has read the original text of Patanjali, the yoga sutras, over and over again and says he still does not understand it.  Then he explains some concept that Patanjali writes about that I had never heard before (even though I have read a translation of the text several times).  Reading a book in the language it was originally written, you get the meaning the author meant to convey.  I think it will take too long for me to learn sanskrit, yes, it will however, if I live to 93 or 100 or 120 (yesm possible), I have plenty of time to study.  One day at a time, one moment at a time, to practice something.  We have an infinite amount of time.  How will I use it?  A common theme runs through the lectures I hear that move me. . . that theme is patience and practice.  I want the results now...I want to accomplish this.... then I am reminded about patience.  And acceptance.  I reject things I do not want to happen, we all do, however, if you resist life, you will suffer.  So this is my practice:  acceptance and patience.  What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment