Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tuesday, Day 10

Yoga challenge, practicing yoga daily is not only asana, keeping mindful of breathing, how you move through life.  That can be the greatest challenge especially when there is alot of business and weather happening right now.  July 18th it is in the 90's and humid outside.  Driving in a hot car, walking outside in the heat after being comfortable in air conditioning.  How does that feel?  Do you experience this fully?  Do you suffer?  I am crabby when it is very hot outside.  I looked at the weather forecast for the next several days.  No relief in sight this week.  It will be hot.  How to adapt?  I asked my students.  They are settling in at home and catching up on inside work.  I love staying inside in this weather, planning my days around the weather.  We have to do this a lot in Minnesota.  Sometimes it is too cold, sometimes too hot.  Lethargy sets in when it is hot.  We forget to drink enough water, we forget to honor our body.  Your body requires more rest, cooler food, more water.  Easier yoga.  We have to get up earlier to walk our dog, set up the fans in the home to circulate the air.  Being present isn't so much fun.  In yoga philosophy, the ancient texts tell us that there is always a balance between the good and the bad.  I enjoy the bad, like this heat, this weather, because I know there will be good coming again.  I am not attached to it.  When it is beautiful outside, I enjoy it, knowing that this too will change.  Nothing is permanent.  Be kind to yourself and others right now.  Compassion, gentleness, treating yourself and others kindly.  This too is yoga.

No comments:

Post a Comment