Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tough days ahead? What happens when we commit?

Making a commitment, I usually feel some remorse or regret shortly after.  I allow myself to feel my feelings, they may not always be comfortable.  These certainly are not.  Then something triggers my memory of having been here before.  How many times have I made a commitment, then regretted it?  How many times have I backed out of a commitment?  Usually not without a fight!  I am stubbornly committed to my commitments!

Ha ha!  There are better ways, however, to support yourself in what you are committed to.  Look at the language of your thoughts.  What if I said instead, that I am committed to the benefits I see from having committed to a 40-day yoga challenge? (for example : )  I am committed to being an inspiration in the world, I am committed to my own well-being and the well-being of others.  To joy, freedom, beauty, peace, harmony and love. . . These are the things I am committed to.  Ahh, the remorse is gone.  I am ready to be in the challenge....

Namaste

1 comment:

  1. I would completely have to agree with this post!!! I notice that when I make commitments, I too find myself regretting it. I think that, subconsciously, when I make a commitment, my brain automatically says "you're not going to keep it." That's why with this 40 Day Challenge, I am looking at it as just that, a challenge. I'm a competitive person and find that just by changing the wording, it brings a whole new meaning.

    I know it has only been 4 days since the beginning of the challenge and only 2 days of yoga (#3 today)but I have noticed that my mood has improved and I don't get as irritated. These kind of results are making this challenge easier and easier.

    Namaste

    ReplyDelete