Sunday, November 20, 2011

Day 20 - We are halfway there!

Today is the 20th day of the 40 day yoga challenge!  I haven't written for several days - I run a business and the various aspects of that have taken me from writing, but not from my practice.  Why?  I start each day with meditation.  I cannot even begin my day now without checking in to my quiet meditation place in my mind.  This is where all of my energy for life is recharged each morning.  The yoga practice, the physical part, is something that keeps me fit and healthy.  People around me were sick this week.  It was interesting to observe that a couple of people who were sick I noticed that they are not doing a regular mind/body practice
and seemed to be working too much or too stressed out.

It is so tempting, isn't it(?) to allow the pull of "I should do this" or that to take you off balance.  I knew I had a full schedule this week, working Thursday night, Friday night and all days Saturday, so I slept later than usual on Thursday morning.  I kept having this nagging feeling like I should be doing some work during my morning off.  Owning my own business, I frequently have this experience.  I don't work 8-5 or 9-5 Mon-Friday.  I work some on Monday, all day and night Tuesday, morning and night Wednesday and have a couple of hours free during the work week.  Some weekends I work all day on Saturday and, during yoga teacher training weeks, I sometimes work 7 days solid.  This kind of a work schedule can be challenging to maintain balance in mind & body.

Here's a tip to how I do it:  when it's time to "not work".  I completely relax and escape into a book, a bath, a movie, or talk to someone on the phone.  I may just run around the house cleaning it and mentally chanting a mantra.  I focus on my meditation time.  When thoughts creep up about any aspect of my work - I say "stop" to my thoughts - then re-direct them.  "Let it go", I tell myself.

Another practice I do is to remember all of the people who are also part of Yoga Prairie.  I think of a student who showed up yesterday to help set up for the art boutique.  I think of a friend, an author, who came to show his support and gave me a donation for the studio. I think of another student who showed up with delicious baked bars for the day.  Omm...  I may be a business owner, but I am not doing this alone.  I am grateful for all of the love and support that keeps our little community studio going.

So - - you are halfway through...take some time today to take an inventory of what you have experienced in the past 20 days, look at the support and love you are gifted each day.  Be grateful for all of that, then let it go and have a restful Sunday.  Only 20 days to go!

namaste,

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment